Saturday 16 February 2019

Lee Jaspers speaking on Immigration legislation in 1989.

This amazing video was sent to me. It shows me giving a speech, 30 years ago, unbelievably on the issue of impending immigration legislation and hostile environment. 
The year was 1989 I was 30 and had hair. At the time we were opposing PM John Majors 1990 Immigration Act, which we in the National Black Caucus, had dubbed the "Anti Black Family Bill" 

Listening now, the speech is so prescient of what was to come. The warning so clear, the predictions, so tight, its actually scary. I carry the weight of the prophetic tradition, not in any mystical form, although all glory is to God, my burden is to look at policy and politics and reading the runes, I am able to make strong predictions. many of which reflecting, on my past writings and speeches, have sadly come true. 

What I am pleased with, when I watch this video, is the fact that I have tried to maintain my principled opposition to racism, and organise our communities most of my life. 
But it's not easy, imagine the sadness of continually ringing the alarm and then witnessing your words come true? That can be a blessing or a curse.
Anyway, this all far to heavy for a Saturday morning, so take a look, at this rather handsome, radical, svelte, eloquent young man, with hair. I give you Mr Lee Jasper 1989. Enjoy.